United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshotx1 View Post
I just got my 2009 E92.

Was wondering if their is a difference between the Software being updated and the Maps being updated?

Can anyone please inform and let me know where or how I can obtain what version I have?

Thanks
Map updates just update the map data on the navigation system, it adds no new features to the navigation system.

There's two types of software updates:

1. Navigation (iDrive) system (can only be done by reflashing the navigation unit with special dealership tools, not designed to be user serviceable). This can add new features depending on how old or new your vehicle is and what options are installed.

2. Combox (done by going to BMW's ConnectedDrive website and downloading a file you place on a USB stick). This is what the "Software Update" function on your iDrive does. It updates the Combox software to allow more functionality/compatibility with mobile devices (i.e. updating the car to work better with IOS 7 on the iPhone). It doesn't normally add additional features to the iDrive, but can allow more devices to work with feature in the iDrive (i.e. allowing the iPhone to use the Office features, something that was limited to other devices for some time).

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0