04-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #45
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
You should be getting free change at least once a year, regardless of mileage. Also, this oil change does not reset the mileage till next scheduled change, so theoretically, the next oil change can be in 6 months or even less after the first and they still have to do it. That is what my dealer told me and what everyone I know is getting. Do not let your dealer screw you.

On a separate note, I would not say that BMW made oil change intervals that long to reduce the cost of free maintenance. Look at facts - interval is the same everywhere, even in countries that do not get free oil changes. also, in Europe BMW had 25,000km (about 15K miles) oil change intervals long time ago (10+ years) and it was not on BMW's dime, so no reasons for conspiracies there. In fact, most cars in europe had 10K mile oil change intervals (for mineral oil, mind you) since about 15 years ago, and many of those cars are still on the road.

Also, the argument that 335 needs more frequent oil changes than a typical 4-banger is not entirely valid. Driving a car of the same size, the engine has to put out the same amount of power over time, and smaller engine actually gets more mechanical and thermal load. An example would be my old mazda 323, that used to go for 2-3 hours with engine not going below 4500rpm for a second (long highway drives near the drag limited top speed), overheating several times, once with radiator explosion. There is just no way to push 335 to that degree and stay alive and out of jail, unless it is full-time race car.

That mazda survived for over 10 years with 15,000km oil changes on mineral oil, and was running solid when I sold it.

They do use different oil in Europe for basic cars, i believe, but this does not apply to 335, as the BMW long life oil standard is the same globally.

Of course, racing is a different thing - I would change oil after every major race (not including drag races, as they are not that stressful)

Well, for what it's worth...
True. We're using synthetic which is 10x better than old dino oil which is why people had to change every 3k miles. Another thing people forget is that Gov'ts (Domestic/Foreign) are requiring auto manufacturers to keep oil use down, which means extending service intervals. IMO..I wouldn't be surprised if ALL cars made in 2010 had lifetime ATF, and 15k mile oil change intervals.
Appreciate 0