View Single Post
      09-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #96
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
I do not find much of the discussion here to be auto-bashing. We all agree that there are niches for both kinds of transmission. To reiterate CC 330i's point, consider what happens when you are at the limit in a corner, and your steptronic changes gears for you. Power drifting is something that some of us enjoy as part of our driving. Not something to do in a traffic jam in LA, but part of some folk's BMW experience. There are benefits and costs for each choice. I found the discussion of why there is such a difference in the manual/auto ratio in Euro compared with the USA to be more interesting. My read on that is the USA market is more about luxury and convenience, whereas the Euro market is more about performance and efficiency. You pays your pennies and takes your choice. I think we should all be glad that we have the choice rather than arguing which is better. Both is better than either. And a BMW steptronic is more performance oriented than most automatics, befitting the nature of the beast.
This is well stated, and I didn't mean to bash anybody (that wasn't already bashing others themselves) with an automatic. I admit to being a little facetious at times, trying to draw some people into explaining why they got an automatic, but that's all. I like all BMWs. Really.
Appreciate 0