View Single Post
      11-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

E90 6-speaker upgrade: amp question

Hi all,

I referenced the older thread on upgrading my speakers and under-seat mid-bass woofers. I have found something that should work off the chart: the Focal 100 CA1 in-door component speakers, and a pair of SSMB8 Kicker 8" small subs/mid bass woofers (please speak up if you think these won't work for some reason, or if I have to do some weird mod I might not be anticipating). I only saw mainly that thread and attached links, please let me know if I am missing anything.

Anyways, my question was regarding the amp: is a good 4-channel going to work well with this setup, or do I need a 6-channel (so that I can bridge to the sub). I don't intend on playing it loud, and most decent 4-channel amps put out 60-75 watts RMS, which seems like plenty for a little 8" mid-bass. The 6-channel isn't that much more, I would be spending an extra $100, but no need if I can get the same performance out of the 4-channel. Looking at a JL XD 400/4.

I am not really a car stereo enthusiast, I just want a clean sounding system, and the stock 6-speaker setup is pretty lousy for such a nice car.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0