04-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharifE View Post
thanks for advice mate. I've done 100k km, only the occasional hard driving no more than average 335 owner. no track work. the clunk also happens on deceleration at times.
Hmm ok.

Yeah I cant promise you the wavetrac will 100% solve your issue to be honest as much as i would like to

This is a clear picture of the ring gear and a lsd diff centre installed

That big gear is the ring gear, and the lsd is bolted to the ring gear.

Sometimes clunking in the diffs can be caused from worn bearings, as these bearings sometimes wear they allow for excessive movement (notice the ball bearings also in the pic) which could cause a knocking clunking noise.

Obviously its difficult to determine what is exactly wrong with the diff until it is stripped and an expert looks at it, but generally the gears are extremely tough and require big hp and hard launches to kill a diff in my experience its possible that you may get away with an lsd diff centre a fresh set of bearings

If your reasonably handy and have the tools, i would dump the oil from the diff and inspect it.

When you have the oil in a pan, run a magnet through it and check for shavings or pieces of gear. If you only find a fine paste type residue (this is normal) as mentioned it wont be a big a deal.
Appreciate 0