06-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #42
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
If that person has no friends to help address the ROOT CAUSE, then addressing the SYMPTOM will only cause the same situation to unfold over and over, thus delaying the inevitable. There will be nobody there to talk him off the ledge, and he'll try again. And again. One day, when the ambulance gets there, it will be too late.

That is the case my paramedic friend deals with every day. People who are in that spot may need immediate medical care, but what they really need is serious, ongoing social support and help. Stuff that is well beyond what the ambulance driver can possibly hope to deliver, unless he's willing to spend all of his free time becoming that person's only friend. Government cutbacks and lousy economy means theres simply not enough social workers to go around. Taxpayers simply cannot afford to fund the level of care needed.

Sad, why I'd even say depressing even, but true. If you have a sustainable solution to that which is financially viable, I'm sure lots of people would love to hear from you. If not, then I sure hope that nobody you care about ends up getting delayed response because the ambulance is picking up the crackhead for the 10th time.
Thats what the social workers are for, thats what the free visits to pshycaotrists are for. There are many many programs to help people like this 20 year old so he never tries to commit suicide again.

Honestly, you need to do research in to this subject to understand that there is a lot of help freely availalable for anyone who needs and or wants help.
Appreciate 0