12-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I tried Megs 105 and Megs Diamond Cut Compound, I also tried Power Gloss and 3M and 3M Extra Cut Compound but nothing worked! You are definitely on the right path to what I am talking about. My friend who used to work at the body shop said that it used to happen to him all the time. Also the Meguiars training center says that the paint just cant finish off nicely if its not cured. The paint is heating up and changing form so it appears done. But then once it cools it takes back to the shape of sanding and appears scratched again. After about a million times of compounding most of the scratches appeared to be gone but the paint still wouldnt finish off nicely. I stepped down from wool to foam on the compound. I went from s.i.p. on the orange to s.i.p. on the white cause I knew the clear was soft for sure. Then finished with 106ff on a brand new white pad at only 1000 rpm and it still would appear great for about five minutes and then just go right back to hazy again. I advised the body shop of my thoughts and they too told me that they cant wait. All advice ive gotten up to this point from Meguiars and so on is wait, wait, wait. They say its simply not ready to be buffed and they should park it outside for a few days. However customers want their cars back asap so its gives us this situation. I wonder if when you resanded with 4000 again if you helped the overall drying of the paint and caused it to finish off nicely. I have to return to the shop on thursday to finish the job so I would like to be as prepared as possible. Thanks again for always having good advice
Two more things.

You may want to try some abralon 4k grit. Trizact 3k is nice but the 4k is like buttah. Just a thought for the future, it really is nice. I am not sure if it's the answer in this case because of what I am about to say...

On the haze, I think I might know what that is too. You may be trapping solvents as they try to escape when you heat the paint up. I've had that happen to me too, believe it or not. I was compounding (not sanding) a ~1 week old painted 'cuda and it was hazing like nuts a few min after compounding. I wiped it down with alcohol and water and the hazing went away *mostly*, but not entirely. I had to lightly re-polish it a week later. When you go back try going over the haze with 8rd on a light foam pad, then remove the residue with isa:water. It's worth a shot.

On the re-sanding, you are removing paint every time you compound so, suffice it to say, you should be careful. Do you have a paint thickness gauge? That should help determine if you're ok to remove more.
Appreciate 0