View Single Post
      12-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
jahwerx
Certified Purveyor of the High Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

DIY: Downpipe (DP) installation for E90 335i (1/3)

This is a DIY in 4 Parts
DIY: Downpipe (DP) installation for E90 335i

Please Note: This was done on a '08 E90 335i with Ultimate Racing catless downpipes. Any variation (different model 335i, different downpipe vendor, etc.) and your mileage may vary! Also note: if you are an instant-gratification Gen Y'er, this install is not for you. It takes time and patience - do not “force” anything or take shortcuts. Thanks to Mr. 5 and Terry335 for previous posts/PM's/emails. These were the instructions that got me started: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=14
Parts Included in UR DP kit:
  • 2 downpipes
  • Mounting hardware (6 bolts and nuts)
Tools required: (see picture)
  • Car Jack and Jack Stands or Ramps
  • Creeper
  • Short-handled ratcheting socket handle
  • Long-handled ratcheting socket handle
  • Socket extenders
  • 8mm socket or wrench
  • 10mm wrench
  • 12mm wrench
  • 13mm wrench (2 are handy)
  • 16mm (or 5/8”) wrench
  • 7/8” wrench (or metric equivalent)
  • E10 Torx socket
  • E12 Torx socket
  • T25 Torx driver
  • 8 mm socket
  • 12mm socket
  • 13mm socket
  • Large flathead screwdriver
  • Pliers
  • Liquid Wrench (or WD40) optional
Time Required: 3 hours or more
Technical Skill Required: Moderate. There is no rocket science here, but the limited space to work with, makes it a challenge.

Every page will have steps and corresponding pictures at the end of each post.

Steps

1. Raise the Car. I used commonly available Rhino Ramps available at any Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. These ramps work perfectly with the E90 with sport package, no rubbing (meaning no need for “helper 2x4s”). If you choose to use jack stands, ensure they are compatible with the crazy BMW jack points. I’m 5’10”, 170 and there is enough room under the car with the ramps to use a creeper, since most of the work is right up front. Let the car cool down before going under.
2. ENSURE THAT THE EMERGENCY BRAKE IS FULLY ENGAGED, and chock the back wheels if you want extra safety.
3. Using the 8mm wrench, remove the lower engine cover (there are 16 screws). You can optionally remove the next panel toward the rear of the car. I didn't remove it, and I only scratched my hand one time on it
4. The engine cover will easily slide right out one you have removed all the screws.
5. Again, using the 8 mm wrench, remove the two small brackets – not required, but less chance of scraping your face or hands on them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4