Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
DIY - 323i, 325i, 328i Performance Exhaust Installation

BMW Performance Exhaust DIY

Foreword:
1. I have taken the BMW installation instructions for the PE muffler that was posted to another thread and converted it to PDF, it is attached - I suggest downloading and using this for reference. Please scroll to the bottom of this post to access the attachment.
2. If you have access to a hoist, I strongly suggest you use it, it will make this DIY much easier.
3. Get a buddy to help, even if they just hold a light, help lift components into place and collect bolts it will make the install much smoother.
4. If you do not have access to a hoist, I suggest purchasing a large floor jack to assist with jacking the vehicle up high as the more height you have here, the easier it will be.
5. For proper jacking locations, reference this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461718
6. You may or may not drop the entire exhaust from the headers back, I did not but this DIY assumes you will be removing the exhaust.
7. This DIY is performed on an 09 323i LCI but the procedure will be the same for the 325i & 328i as they use the exact same exhaust. This procedure will be similar to the 330i but will not apply to the 335i
8. This DIY utilizes jacks & jack stands, replace these steps with proper hoisting procedure if you are using a hoist.
9. Be sure to use proper safety procedures when jacking, lifting, cutting, etc. A good Bimmer Enthusiast is a live one.
10. There is a break in period for this exhaust, at first it will sound loud and somewhat 'ricey', but given time it mellows out and becomes deeper and raspier. Full break in time on my vehicle was about a month, however this will likely vary given ambient temperature and how often you drive.
11. I apologize for the dirty car, it's been pretty gross here lately, I have since washed her lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step one: Suitably raise and support the vehicle. I find using ramps helps with lifting the front of the vehicle, use em if you've got em!

Step two: Prior to install, go out and purchase a "Exhaust Hanger Removal Tool" AKA "Exhaust Hanger Pliers". These can be purchased from Princess Auto, NAPA, Snap-On, and found online. You do not have to purchase these, but they cost about $10-$15 and will save you literally hours as well as prevent damaged parts. I did not buy one of these at first, spent 3 hours attempting to remove and damaged two hangers, one is shown below, trust me buy this tool. A DIY of how to use it is located here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An1MPa2CwzY Note: If you are having trouble removing the hangers use WD-40 or a dish soap+water mix as lubricant to help with removing the hangers, just spray it in the hole in the hanger where the bracket connects

Step three: If you are dropping the entire exhaust, remove the bolts as shown below

Step four: Support the muffler with a rolling floor jack

Step five: Remove the three exhaust hangers

Step six: Cut the midpipes. Use a saws-all or cutting disk. If using a saws-all purchase titanium coated blades, they will make the job much easier. If you did not remove the original midpipe & secondary cats, you will not be able to use a cutting disk, you must use a saws-all - also take extreme care when cutting to not puncture the heat shield! If you did not drop the exhaust, remove the cut portion of the exhaust once your cuts are finished by sliding it toward the rear of the vehicle, it will just drop out.

Step seven: Remove the Acoustic Distributor and relocate to the PE Muffler

Step eight: Install the PE midpipe & clamps. Note: If you dropped the entire exhaust, re-install the original midpipe with the secondary cats and all other brackets/plates removed in step three prior to installing the PE midpipe.

Step nine: Install the PE muffler

Step ten: Torque the midpipe clamps

Step eleven: Torque the muffler clamp

Step 12: Ensure the exhaust tips are aligned properly and all clamps are secure, adjust as needed

Step 13: Lower the vehicle, put the tools away & start your bimmer!

Last edited by 6MT_Addict; 11-03-2019 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 2