Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
BS! Moisture does not change oil level. If you had that much moisture to change the level, your motor would be done long ago. The vapor is also combustion gasses.
Fair enough, but no need for the BS comment! We are all trying to help here, and some have different views and experiences. Engine technology also changes and it is a well known fact that moisture CAN build up in an engine. The extent is of course based on that particular engine and the severity of the short trips etc. Yes, I agree, in most cases any moisture from engine warming up temperatures should form part of the combustion process, but this does not mean to say that continuous short trips where an engine possibly does not get up to proper operating temperature can't still cause some degree of moisture in the oil. I was also saying this more in a general sense and not so much in the case of the OP - but rather a case of what people experience in general with engines all of sudden showing a drop in oil level (not necessarily a massive drop) after a long journey when usually the car does mostly down driving. This sudden drop is usually thought to be a sudden indication of the engine using oil, when it is possibly just this moisture that has been allowed to burn off properly - this moisture sits at the bottom of the sump since water is more dense than oil.

Appreciate 0