View Single Post
      10-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I've got an over-the-phone estimate from Chipsaway, subject to taking a look at it to confirm a price. It's less than half the BMW price.

Chipsaway says the repair would be a repaint of the full door panel in a bodyshop plus probably the rear door too (rear door not shown in photos, but also has smaller scratch). Even though Chipsaway is in a bodyshop, the Chipsaway repair takes 1 day vs 3 days at BMW. Also unlike BMW, Chipsaway is not proposing to blend into the front panel ahead of the scratch. Why the difference? Is the Chipsaway a "smart repair" or a standard bodyshop repair?

What about the paint? I assume if I get it done at BMW, there's some chance I'll get BMW OEM paint but with Chipsaway I won't.

So the alternatives so far are Berry Chiswick BMW who have their own bodyshop @ £850 through my car insurance (ends us costing me about £400) or Chipsaway at under £400 but not going through insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamese93 View Post
Jesus that did make me cringe. Again, if it's any consolation when I was at my body shop recently there was a 60 plate 3 series with the side taken out, and a 10 plate merc CLC with teh rear end off - and only 60 miles on the clock....

I wouldn't smart repair - not likely to last too long and with the whole side done rather than just a numper corner, you'll really notice it....

Last edited by kaishang; 10-22-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0