04-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #36
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Man View Post
There are some “extras” that you got to have, as the 2nd hand market expects them i.e. 5 series needs metallic, auto and leather. You may find it harder to shift it if it hasn’t got them.
Auto is the only extra that will make a real difference to the 2nd value, but you still won’t get all of your money back, just the same percentage as the car makes. The dealer may ask if it’s got leather etc, but that doesn’t mean they give you substantially more, just makes their job easier in selling it.
Then you got to see where the car sits in the range and who will it appeal too. 320D M Sport and is only about £2,750 cheaper than 325D M Sport. Mr Buyer is likely to be after the biggest bangs for his money, so your ceiling is fixed by the 325D M Sport, i.e. about 2 grand of extras. For example, just look at all the 2nd hand 320D M Sport manual, on September 56 plate on the BMW web page. The Majority of them are VAT Qualifying and I bet you there all ex BMW Management cars. I reckon BMW put a ceiling of £2K worth of extras, of which metallic paint is compulsory leaving £1500 for other extras, generally wheels and Bluetooth.
So if you are looking to maximise your return, follow BMW. If it was me, I would pick the extras I wanted. I’ve only got 320D SE, but I put on 3 grand of extras because that what I wanted. I know I won’t get my money back, but who cares.
Very sound advice.

As someone who tried to buy a secondhand 530d with a manual box I would have to agree ... there aren't any.

And even though I don't particularly like leather I turned my nose up at any 5's without it.

I did notice that wheels and sat-nav were very important for 5 series and 330/330d's though.
Appreciate 0