06-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #54
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
If you think the current supercharging network is only for emergencies, then you are seriously behind on what Tesla has accomplished. Plus, they are adding to their super charger network every year.

There's plenty of YouTube videos of people driving their Teslas coast to coast, without spending a dime on gas. I think that shows it's quite practical. It just takes some planning but it's no where considered an "emergency" to use the supercharging network
THey are building them along the major highways for the most part. If you stay along them, yes, you can put a lot of miles on your Tesla. But, it will be a very long time before you can chose any route, anywhere, and get a recharge in a reasonable time. IF you can find an EVSE, most of them are still only in the 30A or less range...try filling up your 85Kw Tesla with one of those...you'll quickly wish for an ICE, or a hybrid!

There are 6 major vehicle manufacturers that chose the J1772 port (the European is functionally identical except they chose a different plug - hard to get all of the Euro countries to agree). Their combined manufacturing capabilities make chademo unlikely to predominate in a few years. Euro zone mandated all new DC fast charging stations must be CCS compatible, and they can support chademo as well, but do not have to. Personally, having one opening for recharging is nicer than two different ones...if it fits, it will work, whether level 1, 2, or CCS. I do not see J1772 being recinded in favor of chademo, I see it's rollout to accelerate as more and more vehicles show up in the next few years. I do not see the Leaf's volume keeping pace with all of the J1772 equipped vehicles of all of the manufacturers that have agreed to use it. The other chademo players, at least in the USA, are only sold in very small quantities, and often, only in limited areas. The majority of J1772 equipped vehicles have much larger distribution channels for their upcoming and existing models.

Sort of like going from cassette to CD, and then DVD, and now BluRay.
Appreciate 0