08-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpole View Post
Sws-8 can still play above 60hz, just not as punchy, but jehnert can't play below 60hz? How much do we 60 below? I heard radio don't go below 50hz.
Kai is generalizing the concept, because he hasn't heard the Jehnerts, and I don't know if he's tried the Earthquakes (can't remember).

You are thinking about it in terms that are too stark, though - that doesn't help.

Both sound massively better than stock.

If I take the Jehnerts and turn the crossover to band-pass, and set it to 20 Hz highpass, I can hear the difference. If I set it to 40 Hz, I can hear a HUGE difference. (I literally just did this as I was tuning an X5 in the bay). What that means is that the woofer has audible output below that crossover point.

That doesn't mean it's a TON of output - but it's audible.

We are also talking about two things - output, and accurate output. The SWS are lower in output around 200, and are also not as accurate in the output they have. The Jehnerts have very accurate output around 200 (especially in the time domain, which is where you get "fast", "snappy" bass). The SWS have a TON of output below 100, where the Jehnerts are more linear and less peaky. But for rap/hip-hop, and IMo a lot of techno and electronica, peaky is what many folks prefer...

I have composed this during short breaks from the high shop temps... back to digging out of our shipping hole
Appreciate 0