07-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
grandmoff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrefugee View Post
"Prone to" would imply there are repeated examples of this happening. I haven't found anything on the forums in this regard. Not saying that we shouldn't be careful with pouring on the boost, but unless you have direct knowledge of failing N55 cranks due to high boost we can't say the N55 is crank "prone to" anything. At best it can be theorized that the crank may be vulnerable at high boost levels assuming it is indeed cast iron (which I also don't recall ever having been definitively proven). In any event, assuming none of the internals are forged I'd be concerned about the rods before the crank.
Yeah I would have to wonder if our 'lil turbo can even push anything that high (over 18psi) anyhow. A piggy + flash would probably be a bad combo in any case, I don't think they would 'stack' well.

And are you (Performing Imports) implying that the crank in the N55 is substantially weaker than the one in the N54? I am pretty sure the N54 can handle more than that w/o problem. I think the community would be very keen on knowing if you have any evidence of such failures. Like vwrefugee said, I think this is pretty much unheard of in this community. Especially given that I don't think anyone is running that kind of boost on the N55 yet.

Edit: I would consider your intro offer and provide a good review of the tune, but I am very happy with my PROcede. Glad to know that flash tunes are coming to market for the N55 for sure though. And FWIW I spoke to you guys on the phone before and you were very helpful. Seem like some good folks to work with.

Last edited by grandmoff; 07-08-2011 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: added comment
Appreciate 0