01-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #233
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
I think it makes perfect sense. Out of the E90/91/92/93, the one that is realistically going to see the most real track use is the E92. You don't buy an E93 for real track work (maybe just for the hell of it, but definitely not for competitive track driving--the weight penalty alone wouldn't be worth it). Same with the sedan and wagon. And if they're trying to get more cooling to the brakes, the current design is plenty ample for street use. But at a track you can never have enough brake cooling. So I imagine it's a nod to those who would probably drive the E92 harder and faster than any of the other models.
I know of many sedan competitive track cars out there. e90 being one of them. The e92 and e90 weigh almost identical. The coupe doors have to make up for the loss of the B pillar which the e90s have.

From the BMW website:

e90: 3593lbs
e92: 3571lbs

If anything I find it odd they added the e93, but there are people who like the verts.