View Single Post
      12-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #27
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Well, when I guess I should have mentioned about "my experiences" instead of "feal."

When I used Mobil1 0w40, my oil temps went down and I didn't lose as much oil as the castrol 5w30.

I'm still surprised by the negativity of Mobil1.
I've used it for a long time and I have never had any bad experiences.
I've used Mobil1 for years in several cars and have never had a problem.
However with the profits of Mobil/Exxon these days I'm no longer going to support them, and go for a smaller company.
Valvoline's new fully synthetic is suppose to be really good, or BMW's own OEM oil which is Castrol will work just fine too.

Again, I think I read somewhere where they did tests of many different oils (including ones with Slick 50 put in it) several years ago and drove like 20 taxicabs around NY for a 100K miles each. Changing the oils every 3K miles.
A couple of the cabs broke down before the 100k miles but it wasn't oil related.
Of the others, after pulling apart the engines, their was very little evidence that any of the oils performed better than the others, including the car (or cars) that had Slick 50 in it.

And that was 7-8 years ago. The current oils are even better.
So unless you plan to drive a car for 150k+ miles doubtful ANY of the oils are much better than the others with the same viscosity and all fully synthetic.

The key is simply using the right viscosity for your conditions/weather/driving conditons, using a name brand fully synthetic, and changing it every 5k miles (no more than 6k IMHO) and you'd be golden as far as engine and oil are concerned.

Now if you race or track the car, a high quality oil for those conditions would be recommended too.
Appreciate 0