View Single Post
      01-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
does the carbon buildup have anything to do with how hard/not hard you drive your car?
(note : I'm no authority, so if I get some of this wrong, don't shoot me. I'd rather someone who knows better comment. Que shiv or whoever...)

You should have more blow-by gas making its way into your intake with more boost, so sure... and that gas is carrying carbonated oil, which you are later ingesting through the turbo, and is blown into your intake and over your intake valves.

BUT...

Generally carbon buildup is just residual crap that sticks to the valves during normal operation... every engine gets it.
It just so happens that if gasoline is injected into the intake manifold[-ish area], it will flow over the valves on the intake stroke and wash off some of the buildup.

The N54 is direct injected into the cylinder, so no gasoline flows over the intake valves, only air, so there is nothing washing of the buildup from the intake valves.

This is a related point to what I asked on the meth injection thread. (Can fuel system treatment be injected into the intake manifold with the meth to keep the intake valves clean?)

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0