11-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #297
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmp1 View Post
wow... that is an amazing job. two thumbs up to you Booster4075!!!

well, this may seem like a stupid question for the simple fact that i'm on the wrong forum asking about a wrong car, but i guess, the worst thing that can happen is i will not get an aswer i need and will have to continue with my search.

in any case, we just bought a new 08 X5 for my wife (our third) and just like you, unfortunatly we don't have a nav in this one (the previuos two did), but the deal was good as i figured i'll just retrofit... I've done extensive electronic and mechnical retrofits on both my current Audi a4 and my old e39 540 including nav on both, so techincal aspect for me is no problem. The problem however is that (to my surprise) there's very little info (no DIY's whatsoever) on any of the X5 boards that i post for an e70 nav retrofit.... My last several years i've been pretty much doing nothing but Audi work, so my info on where/how for the Bimmers is pretty thin now days.

In any case, my main question is how/where did you source/bought the parts, how did you find all the wiring diagrams, any other info that can help me start. One thing, i only doing the nav, since i already have the iDrive.

I don't want to threadjack here, so if you (or anyone else) have any suggestions feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Hmmm....I'm surprised no one has run in to this before on an e70....maybe YOU are the guinea pig! heh heh - I bet there must be someone who's done this on the newer X5...they seem very popular for mods.. (Are you xtrmdad on x5 world?)

All the wiring diagrams were found on the BMW WDS (if you don't have one, you should get it - it covers all cars.) I sourced the parts from ebay and learned the hard way to buy parts for my region (ie. U.S.) Eventually, I obtained parts from a local salvage yard with a 6-month warranty. I'm not at all familiar with the X5, but it seems that if you already have the i-drive, that retrofit should be a bit easier(?) - (BMW doesn't offer this as a factory retrofit?)

Thanks for the kudos and good luck on your endeavor!
Appreciate 0