11-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #195
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer333 View Post
Thank you so much for your question. I am thinking about doing a private sale so I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a temp. plate so I can drive it to the border.

Once I pass the border, do I need another temp Canadian plate?

Thanks.
The temporary plate has to be given from the state you buy the car in. I suggest you tell the person you are buying the car from to go to the DMV the day before you get there and get the temp plate for you so when you arrive, you can simply pay for the car, get the Bill of Sale notarized, collect the Title and head back to Canada.

Once in Canada, drive the car with the temp plate until it expires (they usually expire in 14 days) and I talked to the local Police station and they said they will honor the temp plate while still valid as long as you have insurance on the car. So the day before you go pick up the car, call your insurance company and tell them you need to place insurance on a vehcile you are importing.

With the US temp plate, that will give you enough time to get the FORM 1 stamped at Canadian Tire, and the Emissions and safety done (all three of those can be done in under an hour at Canadian Tire). When you have this done, just head over to the MTO, pay the HST, and you will get your new Canadian plates.
Appreciate 0