View Single Post
      04-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #130
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
But I have to take a step back and say that the AR Oil Cooler just doesn't cut the job. I think jbass had it at one point too and can agree. Even if I'm focusing too much on it, the fact that my oil temps still hit 290F is not acceptable for track duty. So just a word of caution that you shouldn't be too optimistic about your AR Oil cooler, especially when it sits right in the front grill, blocking part of the radiator, and reducing it's cooling efficiency.
Keep in mind that I am still 100% stock, cept for Koni yellows, and zimmerman cross drilled rotors! I haven't been able to get my temps to rise, with continuous acceleration runs on the street, but I know the track is a different story. If I had a tune on my car, then I'm positive the AR won't do crap. I know it sits in front of the grill, blocking the radiator, but the other kits have their issues too. The EVO is huge, and can cause oil pressure issues. Your also buying 8 liters of oil, because of its capacity. It also blocks air flow to both brakes, unlike the OEM, Dinan, VK motorwerks or even STETT, which also sit in the wheel well. The Dinan is Stupid expensive, The VK motorwerks needs a setreb core (too many broken cores for my taste+they are out of buisness), and STETT wants to open flow through the lines at 180 degrees, or flows right away if you don't get the 180 degree thermostat! Moisture could then get into your engine, which won't be hot enough to boil off the condensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Oh, I heard somewhere that an upgraded radiator also helps w/ keeping oil temps down (I do mean oil temps, not tranny). I have no idea how these 2 separate cooling systems can help each other. Can someone explain?
Your radiator is the first line of defense your car has against oil/car temps. The water flows around the engine block, picks up heat from the OEM trans cooler (If your an auto), then returns to the radiator, where it gets fanned down. In a Naturally aspirated car, this is all you'd need to keep the cars temps down (Oil, block, and trans). In High HP, NA cars, or Forced Induction cars like ours The small radiator is over whelmed. In FI cars like ours, the oil is used to cool the turbo's, which are spitting out 400 Degree gases headed to the intercooler.

Just a few questions to you.

1. Have you ever had a full cooling system flush? Where you drain the entire system, then run water+a radiator cleaner?-This will remove all the deposits in your system which is by now blocking flow, and creating hot spots

2. What type of engine oil are you using?

3. Have you ever flushed out your transmission fluid?
Appreciate 0