View Single Post
      09-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #1701
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
Just a quick question; I'm attempting to do some scratch / swirl repairs on my Alpine White E90 (2007) and while I've managed to get rid of most, if not all swirls, I'm struggling to get rid of some of the deeper scratches.

I'm currently using a Flex 3401 with Meg 105 on both LC Cyan and Surbuf pads.

The previous owner would have used the bootlid as a shelf for his suitcase and while the scratches arent through to the metal, I can't seem to do much in way of repairs. I'm holding back really getting stuck in for fear of going 'too far'.

On to my question: Is it safe to say that while I can still clearly see the factory orange peal in the paint - there's still plenty of clear left to continue on with repairs?

Just how hard is the clear on an Alpine White (3) e90?

Thanks!
It's hard to say anything for certain about the thickness of a clear coat without a paint thickness gage. These are expensive and most don't have them so we have to rely on visual evidence and common sense. If ever in doubt I always lean towards being more conservative.

In this case it sounds like the scratches are too deep to be safely buffed out. Most likely some touch up work (ie paint, wet sand, polish, etc.) would be needed to really fix it.

For the other areas if you still see lots of orange peel I would think that would mean enough clear coat is there to still polish safely as you mentioned. Again a gage is needed to be certain but it is a good visual indicator.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0