12-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #26
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
We are really off topic, (sorry OP,) but I don't know if dealers' always use BMW oil. Anyways. Go to Castrol's website. Use the "Which Oil to Buy" link. None are listed...

Valvoline's MST part number, if you are interested in ordering from places like NAPA: 787301. Since they say HST is formally approved and MST is not, I'm still going to stick with BMW oil because I'm not buying a 55 gallon drum of oil. Only 5w-40 HST as listed here:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

shows a Total Base Number (TBN) of 10, which like I said before is an indicator for longevity.

BTW- My wife's oil looked pretty thick when it had 120 or so miles until red/due. She last had the oil changed at the dealer, so I'll see next time I do a change how it looks, now that I know for sure I put BMW oil in...
I tried to look it up on the castrol website when I first got the car and I was extremely confused also, I didn't know why it didn't have a number on the website but the cap says "castrol."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
won't last the factory interval for US gassers. Probably ok for 7k mile OCI.

M1 0w40
Castrol 0w30 & 5w400

Easiest to get other than dealer oil
So should I stick with mobil1 0w-40?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0