01-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw215 View Post
Hey guys i been designing some 4" component sets that will fit in our cars, i am also designing a under seat sub as well. I should have some prototypes in to test around late march. I want to know what you guys feel about this and how many of you would be interested in purchasing these speakers. If i get a high enough demand i will set up a vendor account and set up pre-orders at a discounted price.

Just a heads up i will be testing multiple 4" mids, tweeters and under seat subs before i choose the final product. I will post up all specification when i decide on the final product is chosen, i will also keep you guys updated with pictures and videos as i test these prototypes. I will be testing these in my personal e90 with a dsp (digital sound processor) for persist tuning for crossover designing.

I do not mind any ideas you might have and i will take them into consideration. I am not a professional at designing speakers but i do know enough and i also have help from a speaker engineer. So this being said comment away with ideas guys

Here is a suggestion for you...

Try to work on 3 ways kit with passive xovers (optional) as well.

Package A
Tweeters
Mids (which can work ideally from 100Hz on).
Tweeters and mids should be at least 100W quality products.
underseat mid bass drivers (70-200HZ range).
Underseats should be at least 150-200W as they have to work hard to go through seats / your cheeks and all the way up to your ears.

This package will work for those who will have sub in their cars.

Package B
And your second package should be similar to above except underseats should go low to 40Hz while retaining the upper 200Hz range (for those without subs)

Also remember that
-Depth of mids should be less than what can be fitted in E92s.
-Depth of 8 inch drivers should be slightly less than earthquakes.

I am no expert by any means but I see these as flaws in other drivers available in the market. If one brand can cover these, then you do not have to mix and match stuff and upgrading BMW sound system would be a lot easier.