View Single Post
      05-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #29
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
As for other posts saying whether or not the cop struck with the chain had been killed or not, that question isn't even worth discussing. Because that did not happen and that scenario has no influence in what situation the cops were put Iinfront of.
That initial assault against the cop has HUGE influence on how they react after that. A bad ending was almost assured after he took that initial action. The cop who was struck was fortunate to be alive. Even if he didnt make any contact at all, by simply swinging the chain at the cops head, he has removed doubt and PROVED to the cops that he is both willing and able to take actions which could cause immediate death. When you consider he did so despite being dramatically out-numbered and out-armed, that just ups the volatility even more. After seeing that, my assumption going forward would NOT be to assume that this much hope of ending peacefully after rational negotiation.

The reasons WHY he has now escalated to that point are really irrelevant; high on drugs, mentally ill, sober and trying to kill, doesnt matter. The potential outcome is the same in each case.

Then, when you shoot him multiple times and yet he still advances, that would only serve to reinforce suspicion that this person is even more of a wildcard. You could argue he is crippled and cant cause as much damage as a 100% physically fit person, but considering his outrageously bold antics up to that point, anything could be next. In todays modern world, sadly you cannot even rule out the chance he may even have explosives or something strapped to his chest that only takes a single weak finger to detonate once he get close enough.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not advocating for some oppressive police state where you could be executed by cops without probable cause when you go about your lawful business. But, if you tell me that in order to live in a peaceful society, I must surrender my right to swing a steel melee weapon at a cops head, well... I think I'm OK with that restriction.
Appreciate 0