View Single Post
      01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
BLUE LABEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Arrow WATER PUMP + OIL CHANGE = Higher OIL TEMPS???

Alright guys, I am in need of some help. This is how the story goes:
07 335i E92 w/o Oil Cooler ( no previous History of any failures or issues)
Recently I started noticing my engine making some peculiar sounds. Upon closer inspection I noted that the radiator fan would go through this not so random routine of cycling hard and then slowly amping down. This sinusoidal pattern to the sound seemed very out of the ordinary. It would start to increase in RPM and be on full speed and then on its own begin to taper off. I didnt seen any other symptoms from the car or onboard diagnostics so I ignorantly allowed it to pass. Then about a month into this, while driving locally I noted a yellow engine temperature hot! icon flash. Then shortly after it proceeded to a red icon and you guessed it - Limp mode. My oil temperature throughout this whole process was at 220. After a little research - Water Pump Failure ! It didnt completely fail but I think was on its way because I was able to able to restart the car without the same failure/warnings from occurring.
Today I got my water pump/thermostat and oil/filter changed at a bmw indy shop.
HEREs the ISSUE: MY CAR'S ENGINE OIL TEMPS ALWAYS RAN 220-230F.
The guy at the shop mentions to me if I noticed my engine oil temps to be running a bit high. The guy takes the car out for a spin to make sure the fault codes are not reproducible after replacing the water pump/thermostat.
They mention they were pacing the car 3k-6k RPM for the test drive post placement of the new water pump.
NOW MY CAR ENGINE OIL TEMPS ARE RUNNING 240-250F .
IS THIS NORMAL??? ANYONE ELSE NOTE AN ELEVATION IN ENGINE OIL TEMPS AFTER GETTING THIS CHANGE??? The Temp gauge gets stuck at 240 even with spirited driving ( 5-6k rpm) I held the Rev's in 3rd gear around that RPM for a minute or two without seeing that needle budge any higher than 245.
Im at a loss to figure out why my car would all of a sudden run at a higher temp?
ANY and ALL HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Appreciate 0