View Single Post
      12-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

A couple of other points;

You can't get steel rims from a BMW dealer for a 330i but you can for a 325i. Even so, I would consider alloy rims for a 325i as well. I discovered when I traded in my E46 328i in October that used steel rims for that car have zero resale value, even with the expensive BMW wheel covers included; I just turned them in with the car for the next owner.

Alloy wheels on the other hand, will have a residual value. You can use them on your next car if they fit or sell them privately and that will reduce the effective net cost of a separate set of winter wheels vs changing tires. Probably not by much, but maybe still a consideration. Also, tires should be slightly less expensive when bought as part of a rim/tire package than if they are bought separately to change out with the summer tires.

Look around. I found that the cost of a set of high quality aftermarket alloy rims plus tires was the same price as a set of BMW steel wheels with the same tires, within a few bucks. Personally, I wouldn't buy winter wheels from a BMW dealer unless I specifically liked and wanted the wheel design, which I don't.
Appreciate 0