View Single Post
      02-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #352
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Was even colder today. Below 0F in the morning commute and sat outside where the high was 7F. Got home and snapped this pic right after shutting off the car. The condensation is definitely happening during driving conditions, which makes sense since water is a byproduct of combustion.

When looking closely it's obvious that the tubing isn't plugged (although the pic kinda makes it look that way) but I could see how freezing layers of moisture could build up in cold weather and eventually cause a problem. Glad I can park it in an attached garage that stays above freezing.

After seeing the condensation yesterday, I wrapped some pipe insulation around the clear vent tubes. Also have a temperature probe taped to the catch can at the closest point to the engine/exhaust. With the 7F ambient temps on the drive home the probe was measuring ~20F while cruising. It was about the same this morning with -5F temps. At low speeds the temp rises quite a bit. This is with the front kidney grill openings 100% blocked.

Think I'm going to wrap some insulation around the can section too as tomorrow is supposed to be even colder. I wish you Canadians would keep your cold weather to yourselves.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0