View Single Post
      06-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #167
doctor detroit
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Normally I would say car wash soap would be enough to get the bug guts off provided you have a good coat of wax or sealant on he paint. However, if the bug guts are really baked in and hard to remove, then you will need a dedicated tar and bug remover. I believe 3M makes a good one that should take care of your bug problem. One thing to keep in mind, aggressive tar and bug removers will take off any wax o sealant you applied, so you will need to re-wax/seal once you are done.

Thanks, I'll give the 3M a shot. The issue I have is that although I don't use the car as a daily driver, I do take it on long trips. I've been to Italy twice and to Finland with it and when bugs are hitting your vehicle at 120mph over a 600 to 1000 mile trip it really accumulates. On the Finland trip I even washed it about half way to remove the 4311 bugs that met their death on my grille and windshield but it still took me three washes to get all the bugs off once I returned.

FWIW I spoke to an M3 owner today at the carwash (I was washing the wife's Ford there not my rig) and he also has read your advice and just ordered some clay. Neither of us had ever even heard of this before reading this thread.
Appreciate 0