ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
So it's a special thing, just like Bundeswehr and such. Maybe they have only done that to get rid of the american plates that once were in use. I know that they had also american insurance back then.

I know why you pay less. It's just taxes, basically. I could have done ED myself via an american friend. But if you are not in the armed forces, you have to pay tax if you don't export the car. So, they prices quoted in the USA normally are without sales tax, which in some states is much as high as it is here (19%). After all, I don't pay that, as the car is used for my business.

I could give you plenty of examples of stupid laws in both countries

Whatever, beside the question of your special case being located here in Germany, what I don't understand is: If US emission laws are so strict as ever quoted, why can everybody tune their cars and thus render those laws useless in the USA? I heard that for a few years, american makers could not even produce any big block V8s for emission reasons.
Not sure what special things the german army gets, but the reason we pay less is because the price was already negotiated and set. We cant haggle with dealers over here over the price, it is what it is. All we really can do is ask for extras for free. What state has a sales tax as high as 19%? I know california and texas have around 10%.

The most strict state as far as emissions go is california because the pollution is ridiculous. Everything you talked about with TUV it is comparable there I guess. I've lived in florida and hawaii and it was basicially the same there as it is now for me. Simple checks and you're good to go.