View Single Post
      11-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed View Post
This weekend I was at Atlanta Motorsports Park for a track day. Car ran beautifully in the morning session. In the afternoon session I started getting frequent fail safe modes. Around 4 or so I decided to just pack it up and head back to my boss's dad's home.

Followed my boss back. About a mile from the house I punched it into the boost and at about 5K misfired like all hell. CEL continued to flash at me and the car felt like it was on 3 cylinders and I limped it into the driveway where it stalled out.

This has happened before so I just turned car off, took key out. And then restarted the car and all clears. Welp, not this time. I didn't have the laptop or cable with me. So I just read the faults through the JB4 and looked up what all the numbers on the speedo meant.

Came back 30BA fault which is injection misfire 1,2,3: DME diode failure. Lovely. Tried clearing it out through the JB4, nothing.

Last night I was too exhausted to research some. And I was at the track today as well. My car now sits in a garage 3 and half hours away from where I live with the DME removed. On the ride back I decided to research. Technically under federal law its covered 8yrs/80K, but everybody that has had the issue seems to be getting reamed by the dealers for it.

Luckily I do work for a European shop so we may try a diode repair on the DME itself. I completely forgot to check the fuses in the DME compartment to see if one was blown and may have triggered the fault. That is the task for next weekend when I make it back down there. Praying its just a blown fuse. If not will try diode repair and if that doesn't fix it a call into Autologic will be made into coding a used DME to the car.

I am well aware there is a TSB for 6/07-8/07 build dates. My car though is a 11/06 build date. Ugh. I understand computer components can fail just like anything else. But diodes don't seem to take a dump in Japanese cars unless it got water on it somehow... Oh well I love my BMW.

Oh Man, I have an 11/06 build with too many mods to de-mod. Let me know what you find out in regards to repairing or getting a new DME. Crossing my fingers in hopes my DME does not implode.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0