View Single Post
      11-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #50
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I don't think it is a silly argument at all. Most buyers of BMW today couldn't care less about, weight distribution, drive-squat, brake-dive, suspension control, brake modulation, steering feedback, etc., all the things that BMW pioneered (maybe prioritized is a better word) in street cars. Most manufacturers match, or come close to matching, these once BMW-only attributes in a lot of their models. 95% of BMW buyers can't appreciate what still (hopefully) separates the BMW DNA, which is how the car behaves at 9/10ths and 10/10ths limits (my E90 still has it) and don't really need a BMW; and would do fine with other manufactures nameplates on the hood. BMW now caters to these buyers, which is not a bad thing, and in consideration of proper business practice, the right thing. But if that leaves us BMW aficionados relegated to buying far over-priced M models then I'll shop elsewhere. And if the M division needs to sell M-versions of overweight X5 and X6's then watch me leave, laughing out the door.

The poster I responded to tried to say BMW is a unique manufacturer that "thinks differently” than other auto manufacturers. Really, a FWD hatchback (or 4-door sedan) that drives well? Heck, there must be at least 5 or 6 models by other manufacturers on the road right now.

Just a few short years ago BMW touted this same mantra, that they were the only independent manufacturer left and didn’t have to compromise like other (mainstream) manufacturers by being forced to chassis-share between models. Now comes word that the 1-series and mini will share major chassis components. Right, BMW is different. Sorry, I’m not buying it. Having a naturally aspirated, in-line 6, rear wheel drive sedan with a manual transmission, now that’s thinking differently…
Well put. In the e46 days, I shopped a number of cars and the 3er felt a huge step above the other players. Today the 3er doesn't lead by much if anything. I remember Clarkson making a comment about how Porsche ruined the steering on the 911 and that if it didn't steer well there was no point in getting one.

You simply cannot abandon those qualities that define a brand and differentiate. Otherwise the product becomes a commodity. Imagine Apple going to plastic laptops running Windows.