09-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #33
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Monday night (yes, night), I got around to taking a closer look at the wires, as suggested by vapore0n. With my rejection sticker 60 day grace period about to expire, I couldn't afford to wait until the following day.

Excuse the crappy nightime, iPhone photos:

Knowing I simply need a quick, temp fix (to get my sticker), I separated all the wires and cut out the bad section of the wire in question. Then stripped a small amount of good wire for each half:

After twisting the wires together, I wrapped all the wires up in electric tape and zip tied them to the brake sensor wire to keep them from moving around in the interim:

After driving to/from work on Tuesday and then putting another 40+ miles on the car on Wednesday, I kept checking for codes and the readiness of the cats/O2 sensor/evap system with my Torque app. No codes were thrown and no SES light, so I swung by the shop on my drive home yesterday afternoon and it passed. No more rejection sticker. Only drawback was that I ended up having to pay another $35 for the inspection, as my 60 day window had passed. By 60 days, I just assumed having had the first inspection on July 11th, I would have til Sept 11 to get a reinspection for free. But I forgot about the two 31 month days so the 60 day period actually ended Monday, I believe.

Oh well, I got my sticker and all is good.

Now, gotta have my buddy solder that wire for a permanent fix and then I'll tape them all up nice and securely and probably put something else around the wires in order to prevent them from ever getting frayed again. Still not sure what causes the fraying in the first place, but my goal is to never have it happen again.

At least I know my DMTL pump will be good to go for probably the life of this car.

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

Last edited by eforty6_m3; 08-09-2017 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0