10-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #669
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Most people who use 106FF that I encounter expect a lot more out of it in terms of cutting power. I use it solely to remove micro-marring, haze from more aggressive polishes and to restore depth and gloss. It's not a great swirl remover especially on RIDS, or moderate to deeper imperfections. If you have sweeping surface swirls from a contaminated drying towel or you had some dirt in a microfiber towel when you were removing a product, then 106FF usually gets them out with ease. For deeper imperfections than that, it simply doesn't cut it (no pun intended).

What buffer and pad combo were you using with the PO106FF? On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate 106FF about a 3 in terms of cutting ability, 2 being what may be needed to remove micro-marring from a more aggressive polish / pad combo. I look at 85RD almost strictly as a gloss enhancer, the cut on that would be 0 - 1.

PO106FF usually leaves behind a very nice deep wet gloss. Next time around, when you noticed the PO106FF wasn't removing the imperfections, I would have immediately skipped to SIP rather than completing the car with 106 and 85. If time was critical, you would have seen better results from SIP then 106 instead of 106 and 85. Are you sure the 106 was creating the swirls, or perhaps it was simply revealing deeper RIDS and imperfections as you were polishing off the top part of the clear?

Hope this helps a little.

George
George,

I thought that it might have been not removing the previous swirls but there was one particular area that I saw that was my buffing pattern. So unless the body shop tech and I buff in that same exact pattern (which I would seriously hope not) I think it was introducing swirls on its own. I know 106 can introduce swirls because it does have some cut on a soft clear coat. This clear is not even cured yet as it was only painted about a two weeks ago then transferred body shops because of a bad job done at the first shop. So I was afraid since I was hired to do a swirl removal that if I used SIP and then 106 there might still be some light hologramming and then it would look as if I didnt do a good job. So what I opted to do was be sure I removed the machine swirls or hologramming for sure but leave some webbing due to time constraints. For some reason though I am noticing also that when using S.I.P it also just not cutting as well as it used to. I remember way back when I got my first bottle I used it on my own vehicle with a LC ccs orange pad and then followed with 106ff and a white LC ccs pad. I remember thinking to myself this is the best polish ive ever seen. Yet lately every time I used sip to 106 I would say instead of it leaving a perfect spider web free finish it is only removing about 75% of webbing. I have not used it with LC ccs orange pads in quite a while since I had a huge shipment of Sonus pads. Do you think that the combo of a sonus white polishing pad just might not be as strong as LC ccs orange? Thanks for all the answers.
Appreciate 0