View Single Post
      10-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

335 factory sport suspension, M3 suspension, or after market??

I live in ecuador, and just got my 335 cabrio. As u know, it is fast, and although I am still breaking in the motor, the suspension feels pretty solid.

Originally, my dealer told me that because of the uneven road quality here (think NY City streets but about 20% worse) I should NOT order the sport package (18” rims, lower profile tires and sport suspension). Luckily I was able to order the sport seats and paddle shifters separately.

After having driven my 335 for about a week and 200 miles of local roads, I think if my car’s stock suspension handles so, it must be incredible with a “sportier” suspension. I think I WANT A SUSPENSION UPGRADE:

1/ of course, the ultimate decision on what kind of suspension to get may very well depend on price, BUT price aside for a moment, for a daily driver, what do you think:

335 factory sport suspension, M3 suspension, or after market??

1/ the few threads I read indicate that some guys are going with aftermarket thicker sway bars, and sport shocks with coilovers (either H&R or konis).

Remember that the roads here are not great:
since I enjoy the comfort of my current 17” stock rims and stock suspension, and relative comfort of the runflats, I realize that if I do go to 18” rims I should ditch the runflats for a better ride.

2/ can some explain the difference between the stock 335 suspension versus the “sport suspension set up, versus the M3 suspension components.

3/ I am most interested/ my priorities are:
1/ near optimum handling without sacrificing much daily driver comfort.
2/ I would like to keep the current ride height /car clearance similar to my stock set up.
Maybe a ride height “adjustable” system would be a good idea if there is not a crazy cost attached.
3/ do not mind spending some $ but want the best bang for the buck possible.

Please give approx prices for parts and approx labor seperately if possible:
Since I live in Ecuador, I would order all parts online and have my brother in law’s auto shop install any aftermarket parts. If I go with 335 performance suspension, or M3 suspension I would have my local dealer install my upgrade and keep my suspension warrantee.

One last thought, is it possible to upgrade the suspension and keep my beautiful (style 188) stock 17” rims? I mention this because changing out new rims and tires (without touching the suspension will cost $3,000 by itself).

All comments and help would be greatly appreciated.

’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0