12-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
So when you read through this thread people are talking about both the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. Both are charcoal filters in some respects, so there may be some confusion. In an effort to clarify:

The Engine air filter has a replacable element and a non replacable charcoal filter (built into the air intake box). The engine air filter element has a scheduled replacement every 3rd oil change (on the BMW CBS schedule of approximately 15,000 miles) so about every 45,000 to 50,000 miles.

The Cabin air filter is a replaceable charcoal air filter element and is located under the hood on the cowling between the wiper arms (not actually in the "engine compartment"). The schedule for replacement of the cabin air filter is determined by the CBS. There is a notification icon in the CBS that has a box with dots in it with a fan blade symbol above it. The symbol is in the owners manual in the section on controls (around page 40 I think).
I'm afraid the CBS does not indicate when to change the microfilter as of 2008. I can not find this symbol you talk about anywhere in the Manual or the Service and Warranty books. I'm afraid I equated under hood as engine compartment. But anyways, somehow this CBS feature seems to have been deleted, and an interval was not specified. My wife's car had a bad odor, it turned out to be a cup of soy milk left in the armrest compartment, but I replaced the microfilter and it looked pretty darn dirty. She has about 38k or 39k miles.
Appreciate 0