04-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #42
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnuts View Post
I'll concede that most of you guys know more than I- but my AFE is fairly well sealed from the engine compartment.
The sides, and the top which has sort of a weather-striping that makes a pretty tight seal.
And then the "compartment" is fed cold air from the outside just as the oem airbox is. Am I crazy?
I understand that the air surrounding the filter is not "cold", but I would think that is is somewhat insulated from the engine compartment.
Jeez, I don't know.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=IMG_1883.jpg

You can see the filter, so I understand it's not "sealed" like the airbox would be, but it is sealed in the rear, sides, etc. But the area around the filter/intake should be constantly fed with cool air assuming the car is in motion, no?
So you actually trust the shed building material to keep heat out of your intake?
Tell ya what, you run your car one on one with a completely stock 328 and see what happens. I bet you'll be surprised.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0