11-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #335
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0OS3 View Post
I got a quote a few months ago from a semi-local shop willing to do an engine overhaul to install a Votec Supercharger and got quote $7,500 +/- $1,000 (depending on hiccups). Would include boring to 3.2L, new cams, new crankshaft, lightweight pulleys, and custom fabrication for the SC install and fine tuning included. Estimated +65% increase in current performance (because custom cams, bigger pistons, etc.)... they said though, i risk outperforming my transmission and rear differential before 5k miles before they either need to be repaired and/or upgraded... so... overall... it would take maybe $10k+ to actually get REAL performance out of this engine... i would rather invest in the S85 (V10) personally and just do an engine/tranny/differential swap if i'm going to spend THAT much... at least then, i would still be N/A, have a BAD ASS exhaust note, and would likely stand the test of time because no forced induction...

though... the high pitched whine of a SC is pretty sick too
The main issue is tuning, not bolting on a SC. Obviously, the mechanical aspect of fabrication wouldn't be too difficult at all. You may invest all that money in the 3.2L engine and the supercharger hardware and they may NEVER be able to tune it. All the money down the drain.

A V10 swap would cost you in excess of $30K. The drivetrain alone will be over $20K and then you need to install it. We all know it can be done...for a price. Would be cool - go for it.
Appreciate 0