12-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #24
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
Cold starts are a little rough with a 5W oil, but fact being that my car is stored in a heated condo garage, I feel like I dont need a 0w oil despite my conditions.

My dad has a 2015 mazda 6, which as you all may know is spec'ed for 0w-20 oil. the difference putting 5w-30 into the engine made was simply astounding. the engine felt completely rejuvenated particularly when winding out past 4000rpm.. alot more refined and smooth. it was a wonderful "upgrade." car burns alot less oil with this weight as well.

the cold start was nothing to be concerned about compared to the 0w-20 which was previously used. the oil flowed the same on initial startup.

I will always use 5w-30, 5w-40 oil because it fills/protects the bearings better and is much more resistant to high heat and abusive driving conditions which i sometimes subject the car to.
I didn't even know they made a -20 oil, lmaooo. That sounds about as thick as my chap-stick.

With that said however, seeing as how you have an N52, -30 is obviously most ideal for you as it's specifically designed to operate at 200F-220F efficiently. Whereas -40 is designed to operate (N54/N55) at 240F-250F efficiently. However (in case there might be a less knowledgeable member reading), depending on your vehicles spec, a higher 5-XX number does not always equate to outright "better" performance, with the exception of -20 (which is simply trash) for obvious reasons. Reason being is because a thicker oil takes longer to get to operating temperatures and when doing spirited driving, just as how it takes longer to warm up, it takes longer to dissipate heat as well. -40 wouldn't necessarily hurt, but just keep the aforementioned in mind.

That's why many M3 owners opt for a -50 or even -40 for track days, as the OE spec -60 can cause oil temps to stay hot for far too long.
Appreciate 0