View Single Post
      11-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

07 horror story

Before I go on my rant, let me just start off by saying that I love my 328i to death. It has given me much trouble and the honda I left for it is still running and it's 14 years old and has 130k miles on it without a single problem. However, the bmw has been an absolute thrill to own. I will get another bmw after this one. Ok, so here we go..

My parents bought the car as new in 2007. I believe the first bit if trouble was a window regulator or something dumb. While still being under warranty, my dad took it to the dealership and had it replaced. The door was never put on right and now the knob that identifies that the doors unlocked doesn't stick up as much. (Not a big deal i don't care but just telling everything.) At about 35,000 miles, the battery died and we had to get it jumped. My dad assumed it would be like any old car and took it to his shop and tried to swap the battery out himself. When the car lost power, the steering column locked up and the car had to be put on a flatbed and taken to the dealership. The car was then sold to me and at this point the car has around 65k on it. Not a month after I got it the water pump died. It went to a bmw dealership out of warranty paid close to $1,200 for a new set up. Car came back no problem. A week later the service engine soon light came on and I took it back. Guy claimed it was a fuse and when I got it back the light was off. After a few miles it popped back on. I didn't care at that point and since the car showed no sign of issue I let it go. Fast forward to a month ago. The starter died. It was running the day before and then it died. I had to get it towed from New York all the way down to south jersey. The starter was replaced and apparently the service engine soon light was from an o2 sensor wire shorted out and I had to find it and repair it. There is actually more times it had to go to the dealership but I just forget. They were stupid little things but none the less.

So that's my story of my 07. I'm truly hoping you guys aren't having these problems. The money is money. But the time I had to spend worrying and caring for this car is unreal. In fact, every time my bmw went down on me, I went right back to my old Honda to tote me around. Here my final thoughts. It was a first gen and it was the first time bmw really threw a lot of electronics into it. The honda is a great not so fun car but reliable. I love the bmw but if I had to choose again, I'd of waited a few years. Sorry if this was a dumb post but I had to tell everyone in case anyone's having problems I've probably been there and I can help you out.

Thanks for the read.
Appreciate 0