View Single Post
      03-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #251
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
Georgie, the way I see it (with some 1st hand experience from when I had the Spearco), is the boost control logic is closed loop. So it reads off the map (just before the TB), & then it requests whatever % duty cycle from the wastegate solenoids to reach the boost target. Correct me if I'm wrong here Shiv.

So with a more efficient cooler you get less pressure loss through the cooler. So instead of the boost being 1.2 bar in the IC inlet & 1.0 bar on the IC oulet for instance, you may get 1.2 bar in & 1.2 bar out for a theoretical perfect cooler with no pressure loss.

So if the ECu reads 1.2 bar at the MAP, according to the closed look logic it will deem that to be too high & adjust the boost down to 1 bar. So effectively you will end up with the same boost as you had with the stock cooler.

BUT, you will do it with less duty cycle. The turbos will be less stressed & the heat build up & efficiency losses at high rpm will be less. And then of course you can turn the boost up to 1.2 bar & use around the same DC at you had on 1bar.
Great explanation. The problem (if you want to call it that) is folks that install the IC aren't geared to minimizing the amount of boost required - but will just up the boost back up again for more power IMO.

With your description, 1lb of boost=15whp, so most aftermarket ICs equate to 15-20whp gain dependent on efficiency (assuming you are going to up the boost to meet the original power target)?
Appreciate 0