View Single Post
      11-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Re-tempering springs (heating the coils) to lower Eibach Pro Kit springs slightly

Hold on, before the WTF replies start, let me explain. I currently have ST (like KW V1) coilovers on my sedan. I like them a lot except the ride is still a little rough on crappy Seattle streets. So I'm switching to Koni FSDs and Eibach Pro springs this week. I really like where my car is sitting right now - fenders just over the tires, very little wheel gap. This is slightly higher than when I had H&R sport springs, but I'm pretty sure the Eibachs will be even higher than this based on what I've seen. Here's my car right now, I like where it's at:

Name:  IMG_1388.jpg
Views: 32039
Size:  311.1 KB

Now, the reason I would even consider posting a flame-worthy topic like this is that it was suggested by a very reputable local suspension shop. By their "BMW guy" in fact. I mentioned that I'd be swapping to the Eibachs, but I think it'll be a little high for my taste. He said you could re-temper the springs without any compromise in comfort or handling as long as it's a minimal change, which it would be. We'd be talking about maybe .25-.4" depending on where my car ends up sitting. Basically they heat the coil using a precision technique and allow the weight of the car to compress it slightly. It sounds ghetto as hell, but he assures me they've done this on plenty of cars before and it's fine.

Here are a couple of pics I found of sedans with Eibachs. There's a variance in how low they get. This drop looks pretty good to me, similar to where I'm at now and I'd be happy with this (note this car has 19" style 162 reps).

Name:  Screen shot 2010-11-01 at 5.28.47 PM.png
Views: 54355
Size:  1.25 MB

This guy also has Eibach pros, but there's way too much wheel gap for me. If my car ends up like this, I'd consider re-tempering the springs to close that wheel gap. But I'd like to hear from other drivers if anyone has tried this before I risk it.

Name:  Screen shot 2010-11-01 at 5.29.16 PM.png
Views: 11498
Size:  1.46 MB
Appreciate 0