phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Great thread

I've had a few big road journeys; maybe the one that actually gave me a sense of achievement was when I was working in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam and went solo by small motorcycle to Hanoi, via the inland Ho Chi Minh Trail route.

I felt like I'd achieved something because I'd only been riding a bike a year or so, it was a long trip, in a remote area (although with some quite large cities too) and I was going alone.

I let it slip I was going in the office and my boss actually cancelled my leave due to fears for my safety. Well not fears for my safety, fears that I'd kill myself and that would upset the project schedule. I had to sneak off a couple of months later without telling anyone where I was going. He was pissed at me for 2 years when he found out.

Just before I left, as I was doing a lap of Ho Chi Minh City on the way out, I actually wondered to myself if I'd bitten off more than I could chew and was going to come back alive.

BUT: It was a great trip, I had no incidents at all and just a minor amount of engine trouble when water got into either the carburettor or electrics after some heavy rain.

I wrote the trip up here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348262
Great trip with awesome photos.

I travelled in Thailand, Laos and cambodia but not Vietnam. Now on the to do list..