Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
Im sorry I dont understand what you are saying?
Do you mean if I dont let BMW change my tires I will have inbalanced tires?

No I wouldnt, not anymore than a worn tire would have changed it. If you do change it you have the wrong dimensions.

You are incorrect.
You say that ride height is measured from the bottom of the rim (which makes no sense), how come the ride height differs in your example when you change only the tires?

Further more if I change from 225/40-17 to 245/35-17 I only change the ride height with 4,25mm (measured from the ground to the fender which is what is interesting). This is perfectly normal and is well within what a worn down tire would differ.

I dont get all this talk about ride height? You try to keep the diameter of the new wheel as close to the stock ones as possible. A difference of 1-3% in diameter is something all systems (ABS, DSC etc.) are very capable of handling.
Im sorry I dont understand what you are saying?
Do you mean if I dont let BMW change my tires I will have inbalanced tires?

all im saying when we do a warranty and maintance at the dealership. if we check the suspension, we notice there is a change and the tire is wear out too quickly. We have to note it and record it to the bmw for warranty conflict. we have to recomend you the driver should get aligement adjust.

"You say that ride height is measured from the bottom of the rim (which makes no sense), how come the ride height differs in your example when you change only the tires?

Further more if I change from 225/40-17 to 245/35-17 I only change the ride height with 4,25mm (measured from the ground to the fender which is what is interesting). This is perfectly normal and is well within what a worn down tire would differ."

btw that was an example. the actual number is not correct to what i give u.

here i will copy and paste directly from the bmw stuff

Ride Height
When measuring ride height, measure from the lower edge of the wheel rim (not from bottom of the ground and NOT bottom of the tire to the ground either) to the lower
edge of the wheel opening. (aka tip of the Fender) Use a metric tape measure with divisions of 1 mm.
Ride Height Measurement
When performing alignments on BMW vehicle, the ride height must be set and checked
before proceeding with any measurement or adjustments. Ride height is measured from
the lower edge of the wheel rim to the lower edge of the wheel housing. Ride height specifications
are in millimeters. The specifications can be found in Technical Data. The front
axle ride height is in Group 31 and the rear axle ride height is in Group 33. In order to obtain
the correct specification, the vehicle and suspension type must be identified.
Ride height specifications depend upon rim size (15”, 16 “, 17 “ etc.), engine size and the
type of suspension. There are 4 different types of suspension packages:
• Series - Standard production vehicle
• Low Slung Sports Suspension - This is used on vehicle with Sports Package Option.
• Rough Road Package - For Eastern European Rough roads. Not used in US.
• M Sports Package - Used on Motorsport vehicles or those with M Package Option.
The example shown below is the ride height specifications for an E39 540i (Front Axle).
Series
15” Rim mm +/- 10 579
16” Rim mm +/- 10 592
17” Rim mm +/- 10 607
18” Rim mm +/- 10 620
Low Slung Sports Suspension
15” Rim mm 559
16” Rim mm 572
17” Rim mm 587
18” Rim mm 600
Rough Road Package
15” Rim mm +/- 10 599