02-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335d View Post
Hi,

I recently started having this problem, at highway speeds when the car downshifts it suddenly goes into limp mode with a yellow warning symbol that looks like a gear or cog with exclamation mark in the middle.

The car won't go over 3rd gear, when I stop the car and power it off and then on the error goes away and the car seems to be driving like normal.

I have 118,000 kms on it and it is a 2009 Canadian model 335d.

This issue has happened three times now, I have scheduled an appointment with the dealer but the next available appointment is March 11th. The problem doesn't happen everyday, maybe once a week.

The problem does not seem to occur at all on low speeds, ie under 80km/hr.

Also just yesterday I noticed an unusual smell coming from the vents when the heating was on that smelt like burned coolant, but I checked coolant levels and they were fine. The smell has gone away since but this morning I started hearing a weird rattling sound that wasn't there before.

My car is out of warranty but just wondering if anyone has experienced any similar issues with their 335ds.

Can we get automatic transmission fluid replaced in our cars?

I hope its nothing major

Thanks for reading

BMW335D
118,000 kms (73,000 miles) isn't excessive. Perhaps you have some electronics stuff happening. Here is a link to aplace that knows alot about our ZF transmissions. There is a component called mechatronic (sp?) that might be squirreling out on you. They also sell fluid change kits if you are a DIY kind of guy.
Best of luck
http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/th...eplacement.pdf
Appreciate 0