View Single Post
      04-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnl View Post
Well, in a car anyway. Thursday I am going to head out to my local track (Portland International Raceway) and run my 335i through its paces.

The good:

I'm excited to be able to actually open the beast up and drive the way I like to drive.

The Bad:

I'll be in the beginner group. Although I understand and agree with the rationale (never been on the track in a car, need to learn the procedures, etc...), it is a little humbling.

<>
I race motorcycles on this same track and have been running the advanced group on a bike for the last 2 years or so. Unfortunately that's not enough ammunition to be turned loose in the intermediate group (a stock 335 can't really hack it in the advanced group, I'll admit that). I am hoping to get signed off by the end of the day to run solo in the intermediate group. </>

That said, I have a few questions:

Tire pressure: Should I just run what is recommended for >100mph in the manual? Only thing I have to compare with is bikes, and they are VERY finicky with tire pressure.

Helmets, gloves, shoes: Anything specific or just something comfortable? I understand the helmet needs to be DOT, but beyond that is what I am asking.

Anything else to take note of?
The first thing you should do when you get an instructor is to ask him/her to drive your car first a couple of laps. Make sure you sit correctly. After these 2-3 laps, if you can perform similarly as the instructor they may bump you up in the advanced group. Have fun and watch for E36 M3 and P's ... they can be really nasty and mean :-) Bring oil, spare brake pads and tire repair kit if you don't have track wheels. GL and have fun, be safe!

P.S.
Report back
Appreciate 0