10-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #42
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec View Post
Unbelievable! Stop by the dealership this morning to pick up 6 qts of tranny oil and guy said it's illegal for him to sell it to me! He said it comes in big drums and are not for retail sale. After he spoke with his manager he said they will sell it to me @ $19/liter but I need to keep it on the down low. Are there any other options out there that are high quality? Can someone else confirm if tranny oil can be purchased from dealership?
1) It is not illegal to sell you oil. LOL
2) They do charge a lot of $$$$ per liter.
3) Be careful of "high quality" oil, whatever oil you buy make sure it is an approved oil. The oil I used specifically lists our oil. See attached spec sheet. I believe Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is not recommended for BMW transmissions.

Sidenote, the dealer and BMW claim that transmission oil is lifetime, then why do they carry barrels of the stuff?!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 10-15-2010 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0