View Single Post
      07-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #227
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

back in the shop

I rode with the tech expert this afternoon. Here is the news (not much you don't already know):

1. I do have 29.2 for sure

2. he acknowledged the lag when I explained/demonstrated how >3k today drives like >1500 used to -- this is important because he drove the car a couple weeks ago and, not being an everyday 335i manual driver, he had said it was fine. (It does feel fine, for a turbo car, if you don't know the car well.)

3. v30 is the latest, and due to some kind of internal systems upgrade, no new versions are planned "for a while"

4. ...therefore, not much my local guy can do about it right now, if it is indeed caused by software.

5. So, it's in the shop for a couple days so they can do all the FASTA stuff for a PUMA case, which I requested.

6. It is not possible/permitted to downgrade it, no matter how much I/he wants to do so.

At this point, I don't care if my car is the guinea pig, as long as they fix this soon. Being on a lease, I can look at the last month as a waste of my monthly payment, with the car in the shop for more than a week and driving like an A4 turbo the rest of the time. This is to say nothing of the 3-4 MPG loss in gas mileage over the last 800 miles, at upwards of $4.50 a gallon, which translates to an extra $25-30/mo in gas costs, not to mention the money they waste providing me a loaner. Hopefully BMW will get some more cases and start dealing with this problem.

I also won't rule out the possibility that it could be something that is not software related. The important part is that I was finally able to demonstrate it to a live person, and that they hopefully will be able to get to the bottom of it, whether 29.2 is causing it or not.

I'm not going to get pissy about false advertising and such (although I have pointed it out, so they know I find it unacceptable) until and unless I get some sort of "just deal with it" type answer.
Appreciate 0