01-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #65
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post

So I was thinking just now... what if you took the OEM enclosure out and put some sort of baffle board on-top the "hole" in the floor, sealed it up really well and then installed an IB midbass driver... wouldn't that be physically possible? This would maximize the airspace behind the driver, especially if you consider the existing "port", and essentially turn this into a true IB installation like a car door, for example.
There are three possible reasons for less-than-stellar midbass from this location (in order of my projected probability):

1) The fact that it's under the flipping seat.

2) The location relative to the firewall/doors/roof/etc (destructive interference).

3) The driver used.

4) The enclosure size.

In my experience, small enclosures don't hurt midbass freqs much.

For an infinite baffle to be effective (and not be part of an actual enclosure), there is some multiple (which I don't recall) which its area must be greater than the Sd (driver area). I don't think that multiple is possible under the seat.

So even though the driver used I place as fairly unlikely, it's easier to test. Moving the driver - say to a 6.5 at the bottom of the door - is a lot harder to test even though it changes all four factors.
Appreciate 0