View Single Post
      01-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #75
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
You can die rich having lived a shitty life. Very good. The purpose of life is not to accumulate money, it is to have enough money to live the dream. Sometime, to live the dream before you are 50, you have to get some debts, but everything has cost, so you should not have -too much- debt. My thinking is not based on evangelical arguments that "debts are evil", since they are a convenience that has a cost, and that cost may very well be offset by the return you get. It can be in terms of financial amortization, like for buying a house versus renting, owning a small inexpensive car that gets you to work in time. But it can also be in terms of enjoying early in your life luxuries that couldn't have been enjoyed otherwise (or much later). Granted, it is a net cost, but it does have some value to enjoy life, and many people are ok to spend money on having fun, going to the cinema, buying a TV and anything that's fun cost money and prevents you from acquiring "real wealth", whatever that means. You just have to not over indulge, otherwise it gets to decrease future enjoyment (you have to repay you debts AND the interests), and debt collectors are certainly not fun.

I think the op is making a mistake to get that much debt for a luxury when 1. he has no fixed revenues yet, 2. other costs that are more important are piling up (student loans, etc), 3. he cannot afford it, as illustrated by the fact that the loan proposed to him are of predatory nature (balloon loans are very expensive, and there is a significant chance that he will default on it, being left with no car, bad credit history, and having paid still more than the face value of the car). Getting in debt in his situation is probably unwise.

Again...more loser language. Sounds like you need "stuff" to be happy right now. So you're going to get a bunch of stuff and be in a bunch debt and then be even more miserable. Stuff doesn't make you happy but that's a whole other topic.

And don't lump going to the movies or buying a TV in with purchasing a big ticket item like a car. Cars are the second most expensive item people buy besides their house. That's why it is so bad on personal finances to finance or lease them.

You guys probably don't want to hear what I think about mortgages I'm sure.
Appreciate 0